Academic Bulldog
Crozier Middle School
Home
Music & Fine Arts
cmsConstruction.asp
PTA/SSC/ELAC
Students
Resources
 
 

CROZIER MIDDLE SCHOOL

 School Site Council

Meeting Minutes

April 24, 2008 

 

I.          CALL TO ORDER

             Mr. Donahue called the meeting to order at 3:10 PM.

 

            Roll Call

x

 

Steve Donahue - Presiding Officer (Assistant Principal)

 X

 

Davina Mills - Vice-Presiding Officer (Teacher)

 X

 

Beth Anne Baker - Secretary (Teacher)

 

 

Randolph Simpson (Principal)

 X

 

Mayra Tellez (Teacher)

 X

 

Aba Ngissah (Teacher)

 X

 

Deborah Decker (Teacher)

X

 

Irma Soto-Altataetter (Counselor)

 

 

Monica Hernandez (Parent)

 

 

Maria Madrigal Chavez  (Parent)

X

 

Josefina Gallegos (Parent)

 

Grace Turner (Parent)

X

 

Maria Zepeda (Parent)

 

 

Imani Bradford (Student)

 

 

Triphona Dahl (Student)

 

 

Jesus Gutierrez (Student)

 

 

Shanice Spencer (Student)

 

 

 

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE  

•II.                 APPROVAL OF AGENDA

Correction:  Strike #3& 6 of Discussion Items

ACTION

Motion:  Mills

Second: Zepeda________

 

III.       APPROVAL OF MINUTES

 Minutes from April 10 and 17th meeting:

 

ACTION

Motion:  Tellez

2nd: Mills________

 

 

IV.       REPORTS TO THE COUNCIL

A. Principal's Report by Randolph Simpson:

None- Not Present

B. Student Report

None.

 

 

V.         HEARING SECTION

None

VI.       ACTION ITEMS 

  1. APPROVE Jeff Miller as Consultant for Crozier Middle School for the 2007-2008 School Year

Mr. Gamet:  This item is a result of a long process through QEIA leadership. This item relates to QEIA and the requirements. One requirement is teachers needing 40 hours of professional development.  Teachers are going to Professional Learning Communities conference to learn how to collaborate.  We are changing our school culture to say "ALL students will learn."  Jeff Miller will follow the intense summer training and guide us through the year with the implementation of PLC's and collaboration happens.

 

Mrs. Zepeda wondered how we will measure the work done with Jeff Miller and what the benefits will be.

 

Ms. Mills explained that this will affect what we are doing with each student.  There will be more people talking about all children and their needs overall.

 

Mr. Gamet: The data will really be showing the results.  Data analysis will drive instruction.

Ms. Turner is happy with action item and supports it.

Mr. Gamet said that this is only for the 2008-09 school year. QEIA is is for 7 years. Maybe we will continue this work with Jeff Miller beyond a year or we may discover a different professional support.

 

Ms. Decker was concerned about getting our money's worth and the "checks and balances" happening before we go all in with Jeff Miller.

 

Mr. Gamet referred to the final pages of the attachment to the meeting agenda (Jeff Miller's description of services).  We are not paying up front.

 

Ms. Decker is worried about having a way to evaluate.

Mr. Gamet said that this is written into contract which is required by district.  This is not a problem as Jeff Miller modifies his process to work with us.

 

Discussion ensued about his accountability and what would happen with dissatisfaction with J. Miller.  Concerns have roots in experience with past consultants.

 

M. Zepeda: How will the kids be affected?

Mr. Gamet: J. Miller works with teachers who working with the students.

M. Zepeda would like the opportunity to meet him

Ms. Decker asks for an evaluation form developed by SSC and QEIA Leadership.

 

 

MOVE TO APPROVE: Ngissah

2nd: Mills

VII.   DISCUSSION ITEMS

•1.      Crozier Middle School Consolidated Budgets for the 2008-2009 School Year

Mr. Simpson is not present but Mr. Donahue said that this has to do with the dollar amounts in this budget- more than last year.

Because of more students?

We (SSC) will decide on allocation of this money.

DISCUSSION ITEM FOE NEXT MEETING- Mr. Donahue will bring budget sheet on where money should come from and how.

                                                                     

2.Race Relations (Decker)

Ms. Decker: This should go to QEIA should also be discussed here at SSC. She has heard form students and parents that they have been in situations where because of their race they have felt "bad" because of other people's actions or words.  We have a race issue here at Crozier.  She and Ms. Ngissah went to a race relations conference. They saw some speakers (one being Ron Wilkens) and they had wanted to bring him to Crozier to speak to staff and students.

Ms. Ngissah: he speaks about relations between blacks and browns and the history of that relationship. He is going to speak at the QEIA Leadership Meeting on May 13th.

Ms. Decker: Another component that stood out- Young Hispanic male who spoke on healing the race issue.  She is concerned about staff racial issue that needs healing.

Ms. Turner has heard the same speaker and was impressed.

 

4. Supplies Issue (Mrs. Turner)

Ms. Turner: The teachers need to be able to get supplies

Ms. Decker: Getting supplies is a problem

Many teachers agreeing

Mr. Donahue:  This a a procedural issue of office and consolidated.

Ms. Ngissah: We need to do something about this at SSC.

Ms. Baker: It affects teaching and plans.

DISCUSSION ITEM

5. Accucut Workshop (Ngissah)

See flyer.

Ms. Ngissah pointed out how many things that could be done with this machine to support math curriculum. We need a workshop to learn the possibilities.

ACTION ITEM FOR NEXT MEETING

7. Student Discipline (Ngissah)

Ms. Ngissah brought it up at QEIA LEADERSHIP.  We must see a change in this.

Ms. Mills: You spoke about a system of scanning ID's. We need some info on that.

Ms. Turner: District Discipline Convention in Crozier Library  on June 5th.

 

Ms. Trotter: Knew of a program called "Smart School".

 

 

•VIII.        ANOUNCEMENTS AND COMMUNICATIONS None

•IX.              FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS

Community Liaison Needed

 

 

X.   Adjournment

MOTION TO ADJOURN: Ms. Mills

2nd : Zepeda

 

TIME OF ADJOURNMENT:          4:30 PM

 

Next Meeting:  May   22nd   Room N114



© 2007 - 2022 All rights reserved.